Your pooch deserves the best, right? So this Valentine’s Day, whip up a
batch of liver-flavoured dough (remember—it’s for the dog!) and
personalize it with your pet’s name or initials. Make your pooch a
heartfelt treat this Valentine’s Day with a homemade dog snacks.
1 lb. sliced beef liver, thawed if frozen
1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
11⁄2 cups toasted wheat germ
11⁄2 cups whole-wheat flour, plus extra for kneading
1. Simmer liver and chicken broth in a medium saucepan, covered,
until liver is no longer pink in center, 5 to 6 minutes.
2. With a slotted spoon, transfer liver to a food processor. Add 1/2
cup cooking liquid and whirl until smooth. Add 1/2 cup more liquid,
wheat germ, and 11/2 cups flour; pulse dough until evenly
3. Preheat oven to 325°. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work
surface and knead a few times until smooth, adding a little more cooking
liquid if needed. (Dough should be dense but moist, with no dry
4. Lightly re-flour work surface and using an unfloured rolling pin, roll out
dough 1/2 in. thick for large or medium biscuits, or 1/4 in. thick for small
ones. Cut with heart- or bone-shaped cutters (5 to 7 in. for large treats, 3
to 4 in. for medium, or 1 to 2 in. for small). Reroll scraps, adding a little
more liquid if needed. Discard remaining liquid.
5. Transfer cut dough to 2 or 3 baking sheets lined with parchment. With
a wooden skewer, deeply carve your dog’s initials or name.
6. Bake until well-browned on underside and spring back in center when
pressed, 25 to 40 minutes for large or medium biscuits, 15 to 20 minutes
for small ones. Loosen from pan with a wide spatula. Turn off oven and
leave treats until hard, 3 to 4 hours. Chill airtight up to 2 weeks or freeze
up to 3 months.